Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recipe: Cucumber Soup

The perfect foil for hot eather - and excellent leftovers too! We grilled some sausages and made biscuits to go with. It's so easy to make also that I didn't spend very much sunny time stuck in the kitchen.

At the outset I was using an official recipe for this, but then I didn't have all the required spices and had to create my own blend with what I had on hand. The result was tastier than the recipe I had set out to make.

Summer Cucumber Soup




2 cups buttermilk
2 cups yogurt
1 cucumber
2 green onions
1 clove garlic
2-3 tbl. Fresh basil leaves
1 tbl. Caraway seeds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop and toast the almonds. 

In a food processer mince the garlic, green onions, fresh basil and caraway seeds. Coarsely chop the cucumber and add it to the mix. You might want to peel it. I didn't. Throw the cucumber chunks in the food processer and run it till you have a coarse or large mince. Set this aside for the moment.

In a large bowl whisk the butter milk and yogurt till smooth. Add half the almonds and all the cucumber mix. Stir to incorporate and chill for at least an hour. The longer you chill the soup the better the flavors will mingle.

Serve with the remaining toasted almonds sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment