Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Buckwheat Pancakes for Breakfast

Swimming in Maple Syrup...
We've been enjoying Lonesome Whistle's Buckwheat flour in our pancakes and waffles recently.

For either pancakes or waffles I use a basic recipe (usually from Mark Bittman's 'How to Cook Everything"). When I add the flour I measure half buckwheat and half white. Sometimes I'll mix in some whole wheat, add a little bran or oat flour or whatever I've got, but that's dependent on the day and what's in the pantry.

In the waffle maker, the buckwheat waffles seem to be more crisp than a regular waffle - I wonder if this has to do more with the buckwheat or with the freshness of the flour?

I usually make my pancakes with thinned yogurt (buttermilk being rarely on hand) or milk soured with a little vinegar. Today I had some sour milk that needed to be used and I added that instead of yogurt.

My pancakes with yogurt are very good and cook up really nicely, but the sour milk really made a world of difference. The milk based pancakes were so much fluffier and cooked more evenly on the griddle. The yogurt pancakes are denser, more "stick-to-your-ribs" kind if a cake, pairing well with apple sauce and light molasses. The sour milk cakes absorbed the butter and maple syrup perfectly, and didn't need anything else to compliment their flavors.

It's funny to me that something as hideous as soured milk can make something as fabulous as a pancake so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment